6 Basic Tips to Build Your First WordPress Theme
Building a WordPress theme is certainly challenging but it is also important to remember that it is not rocket science either. To put it in short, the task demands mastering new skill sets. These skills are strikingly different from that of improving the aesthetic appeal of a website.
In the following paragraphs, let’s discuss some effective tips for WordPress web design experts to build a basic WordPress theme.
- Start with exploring the existing themes: Before building your first theme, it’s important to know what works and what doesn’t. Of course it doesn’t mean that you’re stealing other’s work. Rather, this research stage will help you understand how to execute the overall knowledge of WordPress theme building at a practical level.
- Never lose focus from the primary objective: An experienced WordPress theme developer based in London shares a crucial tip in the ongoing context. According to him, you should never lose your focus on theme development. In other words, be specific about exactly what you want your theme to do. Is it meant to facilitate retail sell for any e-Commerce business or will it help in improving the brand awareness? Or maybe the theme will drive lead generation, cater to blog sites or boost brand awareness for businesses? Developing a WordPress theme is strikingly different from WordPress website design. While building a WordPress theme, you’ve to be absolutely clear about the basic purpose of your theme. Else, things will jumble up and there will be unnecessary complications.
- Building from scratch or working on an existing theme: A WordPress theme can be built either from scratch or customising an already existing template. Your theme must have strong foundations. Usually, it’s easier to rework on customising an existing theme. This way, you’ll get easy access to many functionalities and structures. This access will enable you to avoid tiresome coding. However, this approach won’t allow you the customisation level that you would’ve enjoyed in building the theme right from scratch.
- WP manuals and communities: If you decide to build your theme right from scratch, put emphasis on WordPress Codex and Stack Overflow. WP Codex is an excellent online manual, gifted by WordPress developers. Stack Overflow, on the other hand, is a reliable online community for developers to share knowledge on programming.
- Don’t ignore quality images: Experts working in a reputed WordPress website design company suggest not to ignore the aspect of using quality images. This will help in making the website eye catchy. Cutting-edge tools like Design Wizard are unbelievably helpful in creating high-quality images. The tool has hundreds and thousands of pre-fabricated templates to cater to all your needs. In order to get access to free stock images, you may use tools like PixelDropper, Pikwizard and IcoMoon. These tools also help in creating icons, buttons and fonts.
- Plugin compatibility: WordPress allows plugins to expand the functionality of a site. These plugins can easily be integrated with your theme to make a site more user-friendly and interesting. Make sure that the theme you’re building is compatible to the major WP plugins. Some of the most popular plugins in WordPress include WP Rocket, Yoast SEO and Akismet.
United Web Agency in London is a premiere WordPress site development agency. Experts associated with it have a word of caution for you. Just don’t mess around with the core coding. Make sure that everything you do is done strictly inside the WordPress “wp-content” folder and not outside it.